What is Girls and Their Cats?
It’s an original photo series I started as a way to showcase cat-owning women in a positive light.
How do I submit photos?
I don’t accept photo submissions as this series is all original content that I photograph myself. If you’re based in NYC and wish to be photographed please see the following question…
How do I apply to be photographed?
When applying to be a featured cat lady for the series, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include:
- recent photos of you and your cat (together or separate). Links to social media are an added bonus.
- *a story
- a short bio written in 3rd person.
- the neighborhood you live in
- days of the week you are free
*The story should be detailed and personal. Anecdotes are encouraged! Talk about your cat’s personality or weird behavior. Does your cat have an amazing rescue story? Let me know!
If selected, how can I prep for the shoot?
- Make sure your apartment is tidy and clean.
- If you don’t already have cat treats, pick some up! Always helps motivate the cat.
- Have a lint roller on hand. I won’t remove hair from clothes in post, so it’s best to take care of that as we go along.
How long is the shoot?
It’s usually one hour, but can be longer depending on how cooperative your cat is. I like to sit and chat with you for the first 15-20 minutes to get to know you and help the cat feel comfortable with my presence.
What should I wear?
Wear whatever you want! Whatever makes you feel your best or shows your true personality. You can even change your outfit once for more options.
Where will the photos be used?
The photos will be posted on social media -Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram and potentially in a book down the line. I will ask you to sign this release before our shoot.
Can I choose the photos?
While I don’t send you all the photos, I will send you the final images that I’ve chosen as the best photos from our session that you are welcome to use. I try to choose the most flattering of both girl and cat. I know we all like to look great in our photos, but by agreeing to be a part of this series, you are deferring to my judgment on which photos look best.